We hear this question a lot, along with “Does everybody send them?” and “Who do I send them to?” Save the date cards are certainly not required, but they have become very popular in recent years. They are especially helpful if you’re inviting a lot of out-of-town guests or planning a destination wedding, and they are sent to everyone on your guest list about six months in advance of the wedding. Even if you’re not getting married in Bora Bora, save the dates can be used to accomplish several things:
- communicate the date and location of your upcoming wedding
- serve as an engagement announcement for those not in-the-know
- break the ice with relatives who haven’t met the bride or groom
- allow time to make travel plans for out-of-town guests or if you’re having a destination wedding
- tell the story of your engagement or how you met
- let you share those beautiful engagement photos
- get friends and relatives excited about your wedding
Of all those reasons, getting everyone excited about your wedding is probably the main thing to keep in mind when choosing save the date cards. This event is all about you as a couple, and the more you share about yourselves in your save the dates, the more welcome your friends and relatives will feel at your wedding.
Engagement photos are perfect for save the dates. More casual than formal portraits and more fun than no photo at all, they say a lot about what you are like as a couple. Your save the dates can also give guests a sneak peek of what to expect at your wedding. They can match your wedding colors and style, whether modern, vintage, or traditional. But if you haven’t chosen colors or decided on your wedding details, they don’t have to match your wedding style at all—there are no rules!
Save the date cards come in different formats, from simple two-sided cards to postcards, magnets, cutouts and multiple folds. It all depends on how much you want to say, how many photos you want to show, and your style!
Now that we’ve answered the question, “What are save the date cards?” it’s time to start shopping! We’re oh-so-proud of our Save the Date Collection, if you’re looking for a place to start. With so many unique, on-trend designs, and the ability to customize the cards to your style and wedding colors, you’re sure to find one that fits your personalities!
Latest posts by Cathy (see all)
- Save The Date Ideas for your Fall Wedding - March 27, 2015
- Trend Alert: Real Foil Graduation Announcements - March 20, 2015
- Coordinate Your Graduation Party Ideas: Decorations that Match Your Invitations - March 13, 2015