For all those who’ve struggled with how to write a thank you card, here are a few tips that might make it a little easier. Whether your note is to follow up on a job interview or to thank a party hostess, knowing how to get started will make it that much easier to finish.
- Write it right away. Preferably while the event is fresh in your mind. Nothing is harder than trying to remember details of a conversation, dinner party or event, weeks after it happened. If you write the thank you note quickly, it’ll be easier to come up with specific things to mention, perhaps a funny moment or a thoughtful touch you appreciated. Wedding thank you cards you can take a little longer, but most etiquette books suggest sending them within 2-3 months.
- Specific is better. Anybody can write a generic thank you note, and we’ve all gotten them: “Thanks for the blankety blank. I really appreciate it. Thanks again. Love, Julie.” Much better to mention exactly what you’re thanking this person for, and add something specific about why you liked it.
- Flattery will get you everywhere. Who doesn’t love to be flattered? “The corn chowder was amazing. Can I have the recipe?” Or, “I especially appreciated hearing the story of how you got into the business.” It just might get you invited back.
- No emails or texting allowed. Writing a thank you card is a time-honored tradition that shows respect and gratitude for the recipient in a way that an email just can’t express. Yes, it takes time. That’s the point. And whether you order your own personalized thank you cards or purchase them off the shelf, make sure the design is appropriate for both you and the recipient.
- Keep it brief. Now is not the time to cover all your job skills or recount all the gossip you heard at the party. 3-5 sentences is plenty, just enough to let them know that you appreciate their time and effort, and that you were paying attention. And really, isn’t that what everybody wants to hear?
If you don’t already have your own thank you cards, check out the new selection at Pear Tree. We’ve added to our collection recently!