In our family, it’s a race to the mailbox to be the one who gets to open the Christmas cards each day, a practice that really isn’t fair when some of us regularly get home later than others. That’s why I was interested to hear some of the wonderful family Christmas traditions our customers have come up with to involve the whole family in opening photo Christmas cards.
One family has a son in college, and they wait for him to come home for the holidays before opening any of the cards they have received. It sends a message that he is still an important part of the family and that their family Christmas traditions wouldn’t be the same without him.
Sending Christmas cards can be a lot of work for one person. This year, make it a party and get the whole family involved. Stuffing envelopes and affixing stamps and address labels are jobs even kids can do. Here are some family Christmas ideas that will make it more fun:
- Have your Christmas card list, address labels, cards, stamps and envelopes ready to go
- Make it a festive occasion with some holiday tunes or holiday movies playing
- Break out old holiday photo albums to share with the kids
- Serve hot chocolate for the kids, wine for the grownups
- Use snacks as a reward for finishing a task (sticky fingers and Christmas cards don’t mix)
- Be sure to have the correct postage on hand. Most of our cards require one stamp, but we do sell a few that require more postage. If you are using a Christmas letter insert, recipe card insert or extra photos, it’s a good idea to weigh your card at the post office before buying stamps, just to be sure (self-adhesive stamps are easiest)
- Self-adhesive Christmas address labels make addressing your cards go twice as fast—and they add a festive touch to your card before it’s even opened. Many cards have coordinating address labels designed to match!
Once you’ve got your Christmas cards and address labels ready to go, read more ideas on addressing Christmas cards on our blog. We’d love to hear more family Christmas ideas from you!
Why, oh why, would anyone get excited about address labels? Yes, you have to put a return address on your mail and, yes, address labels can save you lots of time if you are sending lots and lots of mail…like during Christmas card season. But if all you can think about is the functionality, you are missing all the fun.
First impressions count. And when your friends and relatives get your holiday card in the mail, how will they know it’s not a bill, or junk mail, or a card from the realtor down the street? Because it has that festive, colorful, personalized address label on it, of course! It will make them smile and get excited to see the matching card inside, we guarantee it.
Another reason we’re giddy about address labels is how much fun they are to stick on things. Even a kid can do it. One of our favorite address label ideas is to get the kids involved in the Christmas card assembly process. Address labels and stamps are their department. You are the supervisor. Pour yourself a glass of wine and watch. It will be fun. We guarantee it.
Check and see if your Christmas cards have matching address labels available. And for more ways to make addressing your Christmas cards easier and more fun, check out our blog.