We asked three Pear Tree employees who’ve recently moved for their best moving tips. As usual, they were full of great ideas, and in agreement about several. Here are their moving tips:
From Andrea, Pear Tree’s brand strategist:
- Label the boxes. This seems obvious, but I also labeled where I wanted the box to be put in the new house, like “Kids’ Puzzles—Bonus Room” or “Towels—Master Bath.”
- We staged our move by packing boxes ahead of time and storing them in the garage, so that on moving day, we were just moving things from garage to truck, which cut down on the mess in the house leading up to moving day, and made the move go faster.
- Separate the items you will need most immediate and box those separately. For example, I had a box of our toothbrushes, some clean bedding, a change of clothes and PJs for everybody for the first day in our new house. That way we didn’t have to sift through boxes, etc. trying to find things that first day.
- Plan ahead on transferring utilities, scheduling internet and TV, etc.
- Get out and meet your neighbors. If you see them outside, be proactive and introduce yourselves. They’re a wealth of resources. Our lawn mower broke and the grass at our new house was super long. I met the next-door neighbor and he mentioned the guy at the end of the street did lawn service. With one quick call he was mowing our lawn before I knew it!
Whether you’re moving across town or across the country, moving day is sure to be both exciting and stressful. Cut down on the chaos with a moving checklist that gets you organized, eliminates surprises and keeps everything moving along smoothly.
- Don’t pack what you don’t need – Getting rid of unnecessary items will help make the packing and unpacking process smoother. Rather than waste time making these decisions on moving day, do it ahead of time and give away or sell what you don’t want.
- Moving announcements – Give friends and family your new address right away. Better yet, have a housewarming party to follow up and invite them all to see your new home.
- Forward medical records – Contact important parties, like doctors’ offices, directly to let them know they will need to forward your records to a new location. Continue reading
Here’s a look at the top five products others are buying at Pear Tree Greetings this month!
1. Chalk Art Halloween Invitations
2. Newlywed Banner Personalized Photo Napkins
In support of National Aviation Day, which according to the national register of official-holidays-that-aren’t-really-holidays is a “federal observance celebrating the advancement and history of aviation,” we present a few of our favorite airplane designs! Happy Aviation Day!
Airplane Delivery – Fun Notelettes
Whatever your big news may be, it deserves a special delivery. The airplane icon on these fun notelettes soars to deliver the important message. With rounded edges and an aqua striped backside, these greetings are full of color and style!
Paper Airplane – Unique Moving Announcements
Let the news soar – you’ve moved! These unique moving announcements are shaped like paper airplanes, offering a fun and creative way to share your big news that your loved ones are sure to remember. Top it off with your choice of colors from a palette of more than 25 options.
Anticipated Arrival – Thank You Cards
Your gratitude featuring a cute airplane design.
We have several team members who have moved recently, and wanted to get their moving tips and ideas for making the process go smoother. We also asked them to show us their moving announcements! Here are their best moving tips.
“Cords, cords, cords”
Michelle, product designer at Pear Tree, lived with her husband and his roommate for TWO WHOLE YEARS after they got married and before they had a place of their own to move into. Michelle admits they waited that long “to find the perfect fit, knowing we didn’t want to go through the painful moving process more than once!” She was so excited & happy to move into her newly built home, which explains why her most important words of advice are, “LOVE where you move – to avoid future moving! :)” Continue reading
We’re profiling team members at Pear Tree Greetings to show you which unique Christmas card ideas they chose and how they personalized them.
About Dani: I recently moved into a new house with my fiance, Scott, and our 5-month old puppy, Lola. We are excited to share the news of this new step in our lives with family and friends.
Card she chose: Cozy House – Holiday Moving Announcement
Why did you choose this card?
I was looking for cute moving announcements that could double as Christmas cards. This one is perfect to say happy holidays from our home to yours, while giving people our new address in a welcoming way. It looks like a Christmas card, but technically I found it in our moving announcements collection.
Did you do anything special to personalize it?
Not too much! I liked the Christmas colors and wintery theme of the illustration. Other than changing the text to say ‘Happy Holidays from our home to yours’ and adding our new address, I didn’t change a thing!
Like Dani’s unique Christmas card ideas? Find your perfect holiday card with our Holiday Cards MatchFinder.
Read more staff picks: the pet lover, the baker, the traveler, the trendsetter, the busy mom
Real cards created by real people like you!
Moving to Colorado was a big change for this month’s Featured Favorite. Debby, our creative customer, wanted her family’s moving announcements to have a little more meaning than a change of address. She liked our Paint Swatch Photo We’ve Moved Card, but they hadn’t painted their new house so she came up with her own moving announcement ideas to share with family and friends. “I wanted the card to have some meaning and I’m really into storytelling,” says Debby. “It hit me that what’s important to us is the ‘color’ of Colorado because it’s so new.”